Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Cookie Wednesday: Ice Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I saw this recipe from Picky Palate pop up in my reader I nearly jumped out of my seat. A recipe for a chocolate chip cookie using vanilla ice cream?? How could anyone resist? Too bad I messed up this recipe. I don't think I have been able to follow a recipe for the past month. I honestly can't wait until I get all my brain cells back!
I made the cookies and wondered why they came out so thin. These babies went from plump batter to slim cookies. I looked at the recipe and then tried to remember what I did wrong. Was it because I added cookies & cream ice cream instead of vanilla? Was it because I halved the recipe? Maybe it was because I don't have real oven racks? I finally realized that I only put half the amount of flour in the cookies. HUGE oops! Luckily enough, the cookies still came out delicious. The cookies tasted buttery and very vanilla-y.
The interesting thing with the cookie was the texture. They came out thin but they were no where near crispy. The cookies were thin and chewy. Talk about a perfect cookie compromise since I like chewy cookies and Alex likes thin cookies. I definitely recommend you try this cookie, especially if you are a fan of discovering new ways of making a classic.Ice Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: Picky Palate (here)

2 sticks softened butter
1 Cup granulated sugar
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 Tablespoons pure vanilla
Heaping 1/2 Cup vanilla ice cream (frozen from container)
4 Cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 bag chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Add in ice cream until combined.

2. Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl; mix. Add to wet ingredients along with the chocolate chips; mix until just combined. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve with a marashino cherry on top.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I thought those looked like a fun thing to try when I saw them over at Jenny's blog. I thought of trying cookie dough ice cream. Glad they still worked for you.