Thursday, June 3, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Reviewed: Les Halles

Our first date night post baby coincided with my birthday. One of the things that changes once you have a baby is the nature of your date nights. We spent a good chunk of the dinner talking about the baby and looking at pictures of her. It got to the point where I asked Alex what we used to talk about at dinner before we had a baby. Neither of us knew the answer. Life before baby fades more and more with each passing day. Don't let that worry you though; life post baby is a whole new and amazing adventure.

Back to dinner. We went to Les Halles. I had been dying to go to this restaurant mainly because of its connection to Anthony Bourdain. Let me tell you, the restaurant did not disappoint. It was one of the best meals I've had in a really long time. Worth every penny. I can't wait to go back.

We started off the dinner with the baked potato appetizer (the Tartiflette?). Oh my wow. This dish combined two of my favorite things: baked potatoes and melted cheese. Alex and I literally fought over who would scrape the last bit of sauce off the dish. The cheese gave this dish a pungency that was so nicely balanced out by the sweetness of the onions and the potatoes and the saltiness of the ham.Alex ordered the Entrecote Beurre Persillé, which is the ribeye steak and fries. The steak was cooked to order and served with a parsley butter. While Alex liked his dish, he liked mine more because my steak was more tender and juicy than his. It was still a good steak and could have easily been eaten without the butter.
I ordered the Onglet à l’Echalotte, which is the hanger steak and fries. The steak was amazing. Incredibly soft and exceedingly juicy. The steak came with a sauce on the side but I didn't even bother with the sauce because the steak was so flavorful on its own.
I ordered the chocolate mousse dessert (sorry for the bad picture). The mousse was topped with a ladyfinger, almonds, and homemade whipped cream. While it was a light dessert, the mousse was very rich in its chocolate flavor. Am I the only one that loves the combination of unsweetened whipped cream and chocolate mousse?
Alex ordered the Crepes Suzette. This is one of his favorite desserts and it's always a no brainer for him when it is on the dessert menu. The dessert is made table-side and is robust in its citrus and Grand Marnier flavors. Alex kept joking that he got drunk off of this dessert.
Le Halles is located at 2415 Ponce De Leon Boulevard in Coral Gables. The restaurant has a very cozy feel to it but what we loved the most was the display of art for sale by local artists. The service was also great and we were both surprised to see how many people went for late dinners; our reservation was for 8pm but the restaurant didn't start getting full until after 9pm.

No comments: