Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Z Square in Kenmore Square

I've managed to get a little behind on my restaurant reviews. I don't know how or why but I did. I have just been a lazy bum since school ended and my motivation has dipped to new low levels.

Two weeks ago Alex and I went to Z Square. There's a location in Harvard Square and one in Kenmore Square. Out of laziness (noticing a pattern yet?) we went to the location in Kenmore Square since it's literally a 7.45 minute walk from out house. The restaurant was gorgeous. I was gawking at the utter simplicity of the elegant decor. I was also entranced by the big HD TVs that made me feel thisclose to Jacoby Ellsbury (my Red Sox hunk...shhhh don't tell Alex) and Ray Allen (Celtics player or dude that got frisky on a ferris wheel...name that movie!). There weren't too many people there that night and we kept saying that if the restaurant was just one block further into the city, they would get a lot more business.

The night started off with my new favorite drink. Now don't laugh, but I have become obsessed with this drink. I have made it my mission to become an expert in distinguishing the different brands of this drink. What drink is it? Root Beer! This one was particularly good and I just love when root beer comes in a bottle.



I wasn't digging any of the appetizers on the menu, but Alex was so he ordered the Slow Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Cheddar Soup. He said the soup was exactly what he had envisioned it tasting and that it reminded him of a good marinara sauce.



For the entree I ordered the Grilled Herb Marinated Shrimp. The shrimp were delectable and I was so impressed with how many shrimp were in the dish. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was the crab and corn mixture the shrimp came on top of. While the mixture was good, it was a little too soupy for me.



Alex ordered the most perfect dish for himself. He was between the steak dish and the chicken dish but ultimately decided on the Grilled Skirt Steak. The steak was cooked to order and came with black beans, rice, avocados (which I ate), and chimichurri sauce. The dish even had tortillas if you were so inclined to make yourself a taco or burrito.



Because I cannot resist chocolate cakes, especially chocolate cakes with a gooey center I went with their chocolate cake. The cake itself was light but voluminous; you could just taste all the goodness of the bittersweet chocolate. Whoever made this dessert rocks because they did not skimp on the whipped cream or the fresh fruit.



Like me, Alex cannot resist certain desserts, particularly dessert crepes. He ordered the butter and cinnamon crepe and ate it quicker than you can spell Mississippi.



Z Square is a good restaurant with great prices. I know we will be going back because Alex said we would :)

No comments: