Monday, December 28, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

TWD: Pecan Pie

Oh boy. I am late with this one. I made this last week and it was served with dinner on the 24th. I meant to post about this on the 25th but I got distracted in doing other things. The past few days have been crazy and full of lots of interesting and unexpected events. I don't want to go into some of the things now because I'm still trying to process it all, but let's just say it was life changing.
Anyway, back to the Pecan Pie selected by Beth of Someone's in the Kitchen with Brina. I don't even know what to say about this pie. I guess the first thing I should say is that I did not taste it. I couldn't bring myself to eat it after the mission I went through in trying to get it together. It wasn't a complete disaster because I did have a pie at the end, but the pie tried me in so many ways. My pie dough melted down the pan into a goopy mess, I spilled the melted butter all over my counter top, I almost dropped the entire thing in my hot oven, and the crust stuck to the bottom of the pan because I had way too much pecan filling. I was so disappointed in how it looked and how much trouble it gave me that I couldn't stand to eat it. I just didn't feel proud of this pie. Has that ever happened to you? Alex ate it and said it tasted good, so I guess this is a good pie.
Thanks to Beth for making last week's selection. I'm sure there are plenty of TWD bakers who had a completely successful pecan pie making experience, so make sure to stop by their blogs!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

I hate it when that happens! I recall having issues like that with the Thanksgiving Twofer Pie last year. I never even tasted that one!
Your pie looks like it turned out well.
Hope your "life changing" situations aren't bad or at least that all is well!

Leslie said...

This must have been the week for life-changing events as I had one, too. I wish this pie had worked better for you so it could have been a pleasure to divert your attention. Hope all works out for you!

Jaime said...

aww don't be so hard on yourself - your pie looks great. i'm sorry it gave you so many issues. if it makes you feel better, the homemade pie crust is STILL something i have yet to master.

Susan said...

Sounds like we had similar experiences. It tasted good, but was such a mess between crusts that didn't stay put and filling that didn't thicken properly.