Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Chocolate Peppermint Fudge

Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
I've been a little bit on a mad dash to get some holiday baking done before this weekend. I thought I would have more trouble getting things done with Cati at home this week, but she has been so helpful. She likes to pull the step ladder up to the counter and watch what I'm doing. Today she even helped me pour flour into the bowl! She'll be a little baker in no time!

One of the things that I made that I have been wanting to try is fudge. For some reason, I thought it would be difficult to make but it's actually pretty easy. You just need to act fast when moving the warm fudge into the pan. I made two types (second type coming tomorrow) and, of the two, this one was easier to work with and tasted more like the fudge that I'm used to getting at the store. This fudge is very chocolaty and, as is the case with fudge, I was all set with one slice. I topped mine with crushed candy canes to give it more of a holiday feel and that was enough to peppermint flavor to balance out of the chocolate flavor.

Chocolate Fudge
Source: Baked Bree
Yields about 30 2x2 squares

2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter
1 cup cream
3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
sprinkles (optional)
crushed peppermint (optional)

Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.

Add the sugar, salt, butter, cream, and marshmallows to a large saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium heat until the marshmallows and butter begin to melt, about 5 minutes.

Once the marshmallows have melted, bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes. It will begin to brown and will bubble all over the place. Take the pan off of the heat.

Add the chocolate chips and vanilla.

Mix it all together until the chocolate has melted and everything is nice and smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with desired toppings and let sit at room temperature for 3 hours before you slice.
Stephanie

No comments: