Thursday, July 26, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Easy Homemade Playdough

IMG_9120
Cati loves to play with playdough. My only problem with this is that she leaves it out and it dries up. The perfect solution to this is making playdough at home because I'll feel less guilty about it drying up if I can easily replace it. This recipe uses ingredients that should already be in your pantry and it comes together quickly. I made four colors and halved the recipe for each color. I think it took me 15 minutes to make all colors using two pots and Cati was entranced the whole time. Because the playdough came together quickly I had to do some extra kneading to get the color evenly distributed. Also, the playdough is really salty so the next time I make it I'm going to add less salt. This is just me as Cati had no complaints!
IMG_9122

Easy Homemade Playdough
Source: Musings from a Stay at Home Mom

1 cup flour
1 cup water
2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
food coloring

Mix together all the ingredients, except the food coloring, in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low/medium heat, stirring. Once it begins to thicken, add the food coloring. Continue stirring until the mixture is much thicker and begins to gather around the spoon.

Remove the dough onto wax paper or a plate to cool.
Stephanie

1 comment:

Alexandria said...

Followed the recipe and in a few minutes the play dough was ready to go! I've found that the more and more we play with the dough, the less salty our hands feel. I halved the recipe to make two colors. Nicolas had a blast, the other day he actually brought me the play dough asking to play with it.