Monday, March 31, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

I'm Corny.

I had class this past weekend and it sucked. I won't even bore you with the details, so you're just going to have to trust me on it. The only good thing about having class is that I got to bake. When we first had the class over two months ago we had to sign up to bring food in on certain days and I signed up for the last class meeting. I woke up extra early on Saturday to make muffins for my class. I figured something homemade would be better than anything store bought. Plus, I'm cheap, had all the ingredients, and didn't feel like going to the store. So I made the muffins, wrapped them up while they were still warm, and left for class. Unfortunately, it was so frigidly cold in Boston that by the time I got to class the muffins were cold. Nonetheless, everyone had a muffin and enjoyed them. I was so happy I brought in muffins because whoever else signed up brought in chips and candy.

Now for the reason why I say I'm corny. Alex was able to sleep in on Saturday. I made sure to set two muffins aside so that he would have something to eat when he woke up. I tried to think of something clever so that I could leave him a note. Apparently it was too early for me to formulate any kind of thought so the best I could come up with was 'love muffin.' I put the little note next to the muffins, left them on the stove, and left the house. As I walked to class I laughed at myself. Did I really leave a note saying 'love muffin' on it next to two muffins? Yes I did. I can't believe I couldn't come up with something better. I think anything would have been better than something as obvious as 'love muffin.'

I originally got this recipe from Annie's blog Annie's Eats. It is so simple to make and the muffins really are better than anything you'd buy in the store. The first time I made the recipe I followed it exactly, this time I was distracted while measuring and added more milk. I think it was a good mistake because I felt like the muffins were fluffier.

Blueberry Muffins
Source: Annie's Eats (here)

For the muffin:
1 1⁄2 c. flour
3⁄4 c. sugar
1⁄2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
~1/3 c. milk (I added almost 1 cup)
1 cup blueberries (or more)

Streusel topping:
1⁄4 c. sugar
2 T. and 2 t. flour
2 T. butter, cubed
3⁄4 t. cinnamon


1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease or line 8 muffin wells with muffin liners. (I only have a cupcake pan, so the recipe yielded 16 muffins)
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. (I used a 2 cup measuring cup and put enough milk to reach 1 1/4 cup) Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Pour into lined muffin cups; fill to the top.
3. To make streusel topping, combine listed ingredients and mix well with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over tops of muffins.
4. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes.
5. Enjoy!
Pretty Muffin


Nice picture of the blueberry

My corny-ness


No comments: