Thursday, August 28, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

What a House.


This past weekend we ventured out to Harvard Square. I like Harvard Square more after each visit. There is something about how lively and eclectic the area is that really draws me in. I think it's that it reminds me of home and, specifically, Coconut Grove. You should check it out the next time you go to Miami :)

Anyway, we decided to check out The Red House. We had been intrigued with this restaurant since the time we went to Redline. It looks so incredibly pretty and home-y and it literally is a red house. Don't be fooled by how small it is on the outside because the restaurant is huge. If you go, ask to be seated in the back area because there is a beautiful glass dome overhead that makes you feel like you are eating under the stars.

For the appetizer we attempted to split the Hoisin Glazed Duck Breast. I say attempted because I was overcome with omnivore's remorse and I couldn't eat the duck. I love to watch the ducks in the Public Garden and after one bite I couldn't bring myself to eat the poor little duck. But Alex ate it all and enjoyed the juiciness of the duck. The duck breast had a hint of herb flavoring and the peppercorn sauce was sweeter than expected.


I went out of my comfort zone and ordered the Lobster Risotto. You see, I am not a fan of risotto. Alex loves the stuff, while I look the other way. Nothing else on the menu really called out to me, so I decided to give the risotto a shot. It had lobster in it after all, so it had to be good. And it was. I loaded the dish up with fresh parmesan cheese and yum! The risotto was sticky, creamy, tender, and soaked in the flavors of the lobster.


Alex ordered the Grilled Angus Sirloin. The steak came topped with sweet roasted peppers and fennel (Alex had no clue what the green thing was on his dish) and it was served with what can best be described as cous cous. We couldn't figure out what the side dish was but it tasted like it had some combination of pasta and rice in it. Alex was enamored with the steak. He said it was a very tender steak and he was surprised with how much he liked the pepper topping.


For dessert I had the homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream and it was delightful! The mint taste was mild and the ice cream was incredibly creamy and smooth. I was tempted to ask for the recipe, but figured that they wouldn't be willing to share something so good.


The atmosphere of the restaurant is perfect for a night out with the family or a romantic night out with your significant other. This restaurant was very attentive to details: from the colorful menus that looked handmade to the napkins with their logo. Because the restaurant looked like something straight out of Newport, RI we were expecting more of a Contemporary American flair to the food, but instead the food had hints of the Mediterranean. It wasn't a bad thing, just not what we were expecting.


No comments: