Sunday, October 12, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Caramel Topped Pound Cake


The day I made the madeleines I also made some pound cake. I was in the mood to bake things with ingredients that I already had on hand. I had bought the Better Homes and Garden's cookbook almost 2 years ago and I had marked off this pound cake recipe. I finally came around to making this recipe and it was so good. It was such an easy recipe to put together (and it's very easy to halve too) and the batter tasted great (shame on me for eating batter). The cake was very dense and sweet and it looked great topped with powdered sugar and caramel. It didn't taste as moist as other pound cakes I've had, but it still tasted great with a nice, tall glass of milk.

Sour Cream Pound Cake
Source: Better Homes and Garden's New Cook Book Special Edition

1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Allow the butter, eggs, and sour cream to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile,
grease and lightly flour an 8x4x2-inch or 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and set aside (I made mini loaves). Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda and set side.

In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add the sugar, beating until very light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and add eggs one at a time, beating one minute after each addition.

Alternately add the flour mixture and the sour cream to the butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (It's about 30-40 minutes for the mini loaves)



Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool to room temperature.



All fixed up!




Slices of goodness.


Close-up of goodness.


Mmmm good!

Enjoy!

No comments: