Monday, January 3, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

{Cuban} Eggnog Bread Pudding

IMG_8470
Yes, I am a little late posting this recipe. There probably isn't any eggnog at the store any longer, but hopefully you have some in the fridge that's begging to be used up. We aren't big eggnog drinkers but I do love the flavor adds to baked goods so when I saw my reader flooded with eggnog related recipes I knew I had to give one of them a go. I didn't have any challah bread as the original recipe called for, but I did have half a loaf of Cuban bread that had gone stale. Perfect! The bread pudding came out delicious, but I will warn you, this recipe is for those that are eggnog lovers. Served with a scoop of ice cream, this dessert was perfect for our post-holiday dinners.
IMG_8483

Eggnog Bread Pudding 
Source: The Small Boston Kitchen
Serves 8

1/2 loaf of Cuban bread, stale and cut into chunks
2.5 cups eggnog
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon1/2 tsp nutmeg
A pinch of salt

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Place the bread chunks in an oven-proof bowl. Set aside.

In another bowl, combine the eggnog, milk, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix well. Pour the mixture over the bread chunks, making sure that a good portion of the bread is submerged and only little bits are sticking out.  If it's a little dry, just add more eggnog or milk.  On the flip side, if it's too wet, just drain some of the liquid.

Bake until the top starts to puff up and brown, about 60 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm, preferably topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
Stephanie

No comments: