Thursday, September 6, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

2012 Reading List

2012 books so far
1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins; 2. Graceling by Kristen Cashore; 3. Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins; 4. A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron; 5. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach; 6. All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown; 7. I Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern; 8. The Fellowship of the Ring by JR Tolkien; 9. Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James; 10. Bunheads by Sophie Flack; 11. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen; 12. Love at First Bark by Julie Klam; 13. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs; 14. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore; 15. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern; 16. The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore; 17. Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stagner; 18. Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness; 19. Gregor and the Prophecy of the Warmbloods by Suzanne Collins; 20. Room by Emma Donoghue; 21. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater; 22. A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin; 23. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness; 24. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green; 25. A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin; 26. Gregor and The Prophecy of the Bane by Suzanne Collins; 27. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris; 28. For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn.

Last year I challenged myself to read 52 Books in 52 Weeks. I didn't read 52 books but I am proud of the 36 that I did read. I knew it would be impossible to read that many books this year with school, a toddler, and an infant but I still wanted to try to read as many books as I could. Reading for me has always been a great way to get my brain to wind down and I love diving into other people's stories. Looking back on all the books I've read this year, I've concluded that I'm particularly drawn to books that are part of series and young adult books. Of the 28 I've read so far, here are my favorites:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is probably my all-time favorite book (or second favorite-Catching Fire is my favorite book of the series). It's such a great story and so empowering. If you've seen the movie but haven't read the book I will tell you right now you absolutely must read the book.

The Night Circus  by Erin Morgenstern. Beautifully written. The story of the circus and the two magicians is told in such a way that the feels eerily magical. The jumps through time were a little confusing, but the story overall was compelling. 

A Game of Thrones  by George R.R. Martin. When I finished the book all I could say was, "Wow, that was epic." The first season of the show is true to the book but, even with that, I enjoyed the book so much more than the show. I think what I liked the most about the book is how Martin doesn't shy away from the uncomfortable or gruesome things and everything that's in the book is there for a purpose.  

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. This isn't the vampire-witch story that has dominated our pop culture in recent years. You have a reluctant witch and a reclusive vampire who are people before they are supernaturals. The story feels real and tangible, like something that could have actually happened.

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness. This is the sequel to A Discovery of Witches and it's just as good. This book picks up where the first one ends and you find yourself wondering about the nature of time. I can't wait for the third book to see how Harkness wraps everything up. 

The Fault in Our Stars  by John Green. This story reaches the soul and it makes me wish I was better able at being thankful for the simplicity of living every day. The main characters are teens but their cancer diagnosis makes them older and wiser than their age would have you think. Great, great story. 

Of all the books I read Room by Emma Donoghue, Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stagner, and Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris didn't impress me and it took quite a bit of effort to make it through them. 

Next up on my reading list are The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann, Bloom by Kelle Hampton, Matched by Allyson Condie, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and Insurgent by Veronica Roth. 

What books have you read this year? Any you recommend? 
Stephanie

1 comment:

Desi said...

Yay I love your book posts! Wow 28 books already, with 2 kids and school?!?! You amaze me. What's my excuse then lol. That sucks that you didn't like Room... I have that book and thought it would be good. And I've heard all about Fifty Shades of Grey and all the ladies are raving about it. Guess it wasn't for you. Keep me updated on your book list please!