Friday, December 26, 2014

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Race Recap: The Ugly Sweater Run

Phew! All caught up on my Race Recaps for the year. I have a long list of blog posts I want to write, but what I lack is the motivation to do so after a full day of work, kids, or both. I ran The Ugly Sweater Run the same day as the Grant Park Turkey Trot because I love to run and race and I do crazy things like that. Mostly, however, I ran this race because my dad was visiting and he said he wanted to run a 5K with me.

Here's a secret: saying you want to run with me or miss running with me are two of the best things I could ever hear and will automatically make me want to hug you.

This race looked like fun and it seemed like a great way to get in the holiday spirit. I didn't have an ugly sweater so I sent my dad on the task of going to thrift stores to find sweaters. There wasn't much by the time he went shopping, but I'm still proud of my surprisingly heavy floral sweater. This race took me a little bit back because we did the race with my girls and the stroller (my girls were with me during my very first 5K). The difference with this race is that my oldest ran/walked most of it! I was so, so proud of that girl. She looked beautiful and strong running the course.

Aside from that, it was really fun seeing all the sweaters on the course. I must have bad taste because I didn't think any of the sweaters were ugly; they were all so much fun to me! But then again, I am the type of person who likes to wear character socks year round.

What I Liked:

  • Running with my family. My dad is awesome and my Oldest makes me heart swell with pride. 
  • Fast packet pickup.
  • Fun beanie. 
  • All the sweaters. 
  • Meeting up with Instagram running friends afterward. 
  • Course on the lakefront. 
  • Stroller- and pet-friendly course. 
  • Free beer!

What I Didn't Like:

  • That part of the course that went through mud and gravel? Not fun with a stroller. 
  • Hot chocolate given out on the course was watery. 
  • No medal (I know, I know, but I love medals).

Debating whether I want to sign up for a New Year's Day race or not. If not, then my next race is January 11th's Polar Dash. I've ran in 30-degree weather so I'm hoping it's not colder than that because I'm signed up for 15 miles! For more on my running, follow me on Instagram @thecookierunner.
Stephanie


No comments: