Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Gingerbread Waffles

My sincerest apologies to TWD this week. I really wanted to make the Chocolate Oatmeal Almost Candy Bars selected by Lillian of Confectiona’s Realm but I couldn't find the motivation to go to the store to buy the missing ingredients. Instead I bring you waffles. Not just any waffles either. These are gingerbread waffles. I know it feels like gingerbread season has passed us, but trust me when I say you will want to try these waffles. They are deliciously fluffy and, to me, they tasted like ultra soft gingerbread cookies. To Alex they tasted like they had banana in them. Go figure!
Gingerbread Waffles
Source: All Recipes (here)
Yields 3 waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, separated
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup chopped raisins
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, mustard and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and egg yolk until fluffy. Add buttermilk, molasses and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Add raisins. In a small bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.

4 comments:

Eliana said...

Gingerbread season lasts all year 'round if you ask me. Especially with waffles that look this delicious.

Katie said...

Ohhh they sound divine!

symphonious sweets said...

This sounds like a tasty twist on waffles! yum.

Katrina said...

You're better off without the deliciously dangerous almost candy bars! ;)
And the waffles look and sound de-lish to me!
And the red velvet cake--I finally had my first red velvet cupcake just a few months ago and it was fabulous! Your cake looks great!