Saturday, January 2, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

A Waffle Breakfast

One of the gifts Alex received for Christmas was a waffle maker. He thinks waffles are the best breakfast food and for months he had been telling everyone he wanted a waffle maker. I always found this funny considering he wanted the waffle maker so I could make the waffles. You'd think with as badly as he wanted the waffle maker he would at least want to also make the waffles. I'm excited about the new kitchen toy but I chuckle every time I see Alex drooling over the appliance.
I made my first attempt at waffle making and I have to admit I was intimidated by the waffle maker. It's one of those flip ones and I couldn't figure out how to get the darn thing to open. I also didn't want to pour too much batter into the maker and I wasn't sure about what setting it should be on. It was definitely a learning experience and thank goodness I had a good recipe to break my waffle making virginity. I now know that I like the waffles made on a higher setting and that I need to be very generous with how much batter I pour for each waffle.

The waffles came out delicious and Alex was singing my praises all morning. The waffles were light and had a beautiful vanilla flavoring to them. I will definitely be making this recipe again but I am excited about trying new recipes and really exploring the world of waffle making.

Waffles
Source: All Recipes (here)
Note: Halving the recipe makes enough for 2 waffles

2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
1 tablespoon white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.


Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I've had a similar waffle maker for a few years and love it!
Mmm, I know what we should have for breakfast tomorrow!
Happy New Year!