Thursday, December 23, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Seasons 52: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup
Here's another recipe from Seasons 52. As usual, I messed up the recipe. I didn't scoop out the flesh of the butternut squash and I think that made the soup being a little grainy. Or is butternut squash normally grainy (this is my first experience with this type of squash)? As a result, the soup was a partial miss in my house. It tasted really, really good but the texture made the soup hard to finish. Eaten with sourdough bread the soup was fantastic, but eaten on its own you dealt with the grainy texture.
Butternut Squash Soup

If you've done a recipe with butternut squash before can you tell me how the squash tastes?

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Source: Seasons 52
Serves 6 to 8

1 ea Butternut squash – about 4_ packed cups
2 ea Apples (not red), peeled, cored and sliced
1 Tbs Brown sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 Tbs Canola oil
1 ea Onion, Spanish, peeled and diced
1 Tbs Ginger, minced
1 quart Vegetable stock (low-sodium)
1 tsp Chipotle Tabasco
2 Tbs Honey
1 Tbs Kosher salt

Garnish:
1 ea Apple, washed, cut in small slivers
Dollop Sour cream, reduced fat
Pinch Chives, sliced fine
Pinch Pumpkin seeds, toasted

Gather and measure all ingredients. Wash and prep veggies, cut squash in half, lengthwise and spoon out seeds.

Place squash halves and apples on foil-lined cookie tray, cut side up. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle mix evenly onto squash. Roast squash halves in 350º oven for 45 to 60 minutes until tender.

Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes until able to handle. Scoop pulp from skins. Reserve pulp for soup.

Heat oil in soup pot at medium heat. Add apples, onion and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes until tender and sweet. Add vegetable stock. Stir in cooked squash pulp. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Add Tabasco, honey, and salt. Puree fine in a blender until smooth.

Garnish with apple slivers, sour cream, chives, and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Stephanie

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I'm actually going to be posting a butternut squash soup recipe in the next week or so, how funny! I'm glad someone else doesn't see it as just an autumn dish! For my soups, I typcally take the whole shebang and throw it into a blender or food processor before serving. It is still a heavy soup, but it is velvety smooth, no pulp or graniness. Maybe try that next time - especially if you found a recipe with great flavor! If you still have some left, you could always blend it and see if that helps!

Alexandria said...

Ok, this is so not the same thing, but I just made baby puree butternut squash. To me, it tasted just like the sweet potato puree I recently made. But I didn't find it to be very grainy, maybe the squash was not tender enough? I had baked my halves face down in a bit of water and was able to easily peel off the skins. I think that helped soften up the meat more.

Babette said...

Stephanie, do you mean you just pureed the squash skin and all? I make a recipe VERY similar to this and it should be silky smooth. And yes, I scoop the flesh after it's been baked til super soft and tender...let the squash cool some then hold halves in your hand, using hot pad/glove or something (it stays hot for a long time)...

make it again and def. scoop...You will love it...