Thursday, May 17, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Oatmeal Week: Horchata

Horchata
I am many days late in posting this. I was so on top of things up until I got sick and then I've been having issues with supply, so I have kind of been all over the place. Today has been the first day where I feel like a human again and like I can do more than simply go through the motions. Anyway, on to this drink: Horchata. There used to be this Mexican place I loved going to down here. Not only was their food great, but they also had some of the best horchata I'd ever tasted. The horchata at this restaurant was made with rice and I'm assuming milk because it was thick and creamy, almost like a rice pudding drink but smooth. I came across this oatmeal-based recipe in my quest for oatmeal recipes and it's pretty good. Not like the restaurant's, but still good enough that I will be making again. Anything to get more oatmeal in my diet!

In addition to these Chocolate Walnut Oatmeal Cookies, I have also made Lactation Cookies, Peanut Butter & Banana Oatmeal Smoothie, Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes, No Bake Chocolate Oat Bars, Brown Butter Oatmeal Chunk Cookies, and Chocolate Walnut Oatmeal Cookies.

Horchata
Source: Marcela Valladolid
Yields 4 servings

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick, broken into tiny pieces
4 cups water
Sugar or agave nectar, as needed

In a large pitcher, soak the oats, cinnamon and water for a minimum of 30 minutes. Blend the mixture (including the cinnamon) in a blender. Strain and sweeten with sugar or agave, to taste. Serve well-chilled or over ice.
 Stephanie

No comments: