Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Of Poodles and Frogs


I've noticed that I have been in the kitchen more since starting school. With the amount of reading I do and the amount of time that takes up you would think that I wouldn't have much time leftover to get in the kitchen, but I do. Something about being in the kitchen baking relaxes me. Despite focusing on measurements and making sure everything is mixed together just right, my brain shuts down and does something amazing: it stops thinking logically and rationally. It's like my brain reverts back to the time when I had no responsibilities and no worries. It's so liberating!

One of the things I baked was sugar cookies. I've had a recipe that I have been wanting to try from Sur La Table since last December. The dough was so easy to work with and I had so much fun using my poodle and frog cookie cutters. This may sound weird but the cookie tasted more like a sugar cookie the next day than the day it was made.

Our Favorite Sugar Cookies
Source: Sur La Table (here)
Makes 3 dozen cookies.

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup colored sugar, for decoration, optional

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Sift together the flour and baking powder; stir into mixture, alternating with the heavy cream. Cover dough and chill for 2 to 3 hours until firm.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes. Place cookies 1-inch apart of the cookie sheets and sprinkle with colored sugar.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until bottoms and edges of cookies are light brown. Remove from oven ans cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container.


Before baking.


Lovely poodle and frog.


All the cookies.


I thought the poodles were so cute.

No comments: