Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Cookie Wednesday: Peanut Butter Cookies

One of the new things I want to do on the blog is to feature a cookie each week. I have always said that cookies are my favorite thing to bake and that should be reflected on the blog. Or maybe I'm using the blog as a way to justify my desire to bake cookies. Either way, I love to bake cookies because of how varied they can be, how quickly they come together, and how perfectly portioned they are. No cutting, slicing, or unwrapping necessary; you can just grab and go.
This week I decided to make a cookie I rarely make: the peanut butter cookie. Alex loves peanut butter cookies but I don't. The truth is I don't like peanut butter in desserts. I like peanut butter on its own and love it in a pb&j sandwich but I don't like the way it tastes when more sugar is added to it or when it's baked. Or so that's how I felt up until this cookie. This cookie is so addictive. It's soft and sweet and has just a hint of peanut butter flavor. Alex said the cookie was amazing and tasted like Jamba Juice's smoothie Peanut Butter Moo'd. I found the cookie to have just the right amount of peanut butter flavor. In other words, the peanut butter flavor did not overwhelm the senses. It was properly balanced out by the caramel sweetness of the brown sugar.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook Special Edition

1/2 butter, softened
1/2 peanut butter
1/2 granulated sugar
1/2 packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 baking powder
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Granulated Sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine the butter and peanut butter in a large bowl and beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugars, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. If necessary, cover and chill dough until easy to handle.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in additional granulated sugar to coat. Place two inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten by making crisscross marks with the tines of a fork. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

Bake 7-9 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: