Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Avocado: Fruit or Veggie?

IMG_8124
We're breezing through the veggies here and Cati has reacted so well to what I've given her that I feel confident about moving on to new foods every 3 days. I was in between starting avocado or squash today but I really wanted avocado with my lunch so we went ahead with that. I like to eat my avocado with a bit of salt and lime juice so I found her avocado bland (breast milk actually made it taste blander to me). At first Cati didn't seem to know what to make of avocado. She must have asked herself the age old question: Is it a fruit or a vegetable? She warmed up to it toward the end of the meal, but I still think carrots has been her favorite thing thus far. We'll be rounding out the rest of the month with squash, sweet potato, apple, banana, and then pear. 

Avocado Purée Recipe
Makes 1/2 cup purée

1 cup diced avocado (about 1/2 large avocado)
Breast milk, formula, or water (optional)

Place in avocado in a food processor and purée. Add fluid until avocado reaches the best consistency for eating.

Storage: Good for 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container or up to 3 months in the freezer.

Note: Since this was Cati's 1st avocado meal, I added about 1 oz of breast milk to make the purée a consistency I felt she'd be able to eat. I look forward to just mashing up the avocado with a fork when she's older.
The players
IMG_8093
The avocado was really smooth on its own 
but I added a little breast milk to make it even smoother.
IMG_8097
Our respective servings.
IMG_8117

Stephanie

No comments: