Sunday, November 21, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

This Week in Mommyhood

I think I'm starting to snap out of whatever funk I was in. I'm feeling a little more chipper and I'm feeling ready to tackle this upcoming week. Last week I felt a little weighed down by motherhood but this week I feel great about it. What changed? Nothing changed per se, but I did remember the person I was before I had a baby. One of the biggest motherhood struggles is figuring out how to incorporate that mother role into your life. Just because you have a baby it doesn't mean you are a completely different person. You are more tired and less spontaneous, but you can still have fun.
 IMG_5876
I had my very first girls night this past week and it was amazing. We drank wine, ate junk food, talked, laughed, watched romantic movies, and topped the night off with a special performance of Aladdin's "Genie of the Lamp." Even though the baby was upstairs sleeping, I felt like my old self again. Even though I knew I had to wake up early the next day I poured myself that extra glass of wine and had fun. Real fun. I will always be a mother, but a mother isn't who I am and that night helped me remember that. Motherhood is just one thing that helps defines me and it is a part of who I am, but it isn't everything I am. It felt so good to be Stephanie again and not just Cati's mom.
IMG_5930
Speaking of the little stranger, she had her 9-month pediatrician appointment this week and she is growing beautifully. She's weighing in at 20 lbs and is 28.5" long. I was given permission to go crazy with foods. The only things off limits are fried pork, chocolate, and shellfish. I was actually a little taken aback when I saw the sample menu the doctor gave me: it had a breakfast full of cereal, toast, egg, and juice; a lunch full of meat, vegetables, and desserts such as ice cream and cake (score!); and a dinner full of more meat, grains, and more desserts. That sounds like a menu for a big person, not a little baby. Especially not a little baby belonging to me!
IMG_5859
The sample menu inspired me to get back on track with introducing new things to Cati so this week she tried yogurt, broccoli, and bread with strawberry jelly. Now I give Cati her cereal in the morning with some bread and jelly and after lunch I give her a little bit of cheese. I've also started giving Cati a small dinner in the evening, about 2-3 Tbsp of veggies and yogurt with fruit. Lastly, I'm trying to introduce Cati to using her fingers when eating. I'll get the cheese or bread with jelly and break it into small pieces for her to pick up and eat but she doesn't quite understand what to do. The girl will stick our shoes in her mouth if we let her, but little chunks of food leave her not knowing how to react. She'll poke the food but she doesn't get to pick it up and stick it in her mouth. The interesting thing is that I have given her teething biscuits and she knows what to do with those, but little chunks just get prodded. Maybe it's the small size that makes her cautious?
IMG_8457
Cati also had her 9-month portrait session this week. I already shared the slideshow of pictures I took and I think the pictures I got are adorable so I cannot wait to get the professional shots. The most incredible part was how cooperative Cati was. The shoot was outside, which I think helped a lot, and it was relatively short at only 1.5 hours long. Cati was in such a great mood that we kept changing her looks. She had a total of six looks and I have a feeling it's going to be hard for me to pick a favorite.
IMG_5967
Cati really was amazing during the shoot. We had the girl sitting, standing for periods longer than she's ever stood for, and dressed in long-sleeve dresses (tried to make the session winter-y). She did not cry and she actually let us keep things in her hair (she is protesting all bows). I can't wait to see the pictures! Aaah!
IMG_8519
This week is over and here's hoping for another great week with Cati.
Stephanie

1 comment:

*Jen* said...

It is hard to find "yourself" again after having a baby — but it gets easier as time goes on. At least it has for me (I have a 23-month-old). You just have to remind yourself that you're worth it, and that it's good for you AND Cati to have a little "me time." :)