Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

TWD: Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies

IMG_2938
One of the things I love the most about Dorie is how fool-proof her recipes are. Tiny adaptations to the recipe do no harm to the overall taste and quality of the finished dessert. I thought I had everything I needed to make these Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies but I was wrong and I didn't want to make a third trip to the grocery store. Instead, I made little substitutions. All I had in the pantry was coarse corn meal and lemon extract. In went the coarse corn meal and out came a cookie that was buttery but a little rocky in some parts. In went the lemon extract (1/4 tsp for a quarter of the recipe) and out came a cookie that was booming in its lemon flavor.

Thanks to Valerie of Une Gamine dans la Cuisine for making this week's selection. Don't forget to stop by the TWD site to see how everyone else fared this week.
Stephanie

6 comments:

La Cucina del Topino said...

Hi Stephanie! I'm so glad I came across your blog, this recipe is fantastic! :-)

spike. said...

I like the sound of extra lemon flavor!

Tia said...

you're so right abotu dorie's recipes. amazing all the time! great job.
Buttercreambarbie

Valerie Gamine said...

I always find myself having to make last-minute substitutions too. But your cookies look delicious!

Thanks for baking along with me this week! :D

Swirls of Happy said...

Loving your blog! I am your new follower :)

www.swirlsofhappy.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

I went and bought finer ground cornmeal after reading the comments on the TWD site. I was glad I did. The cornmeal was hardly noticed in the batch I made. They were buttery and very yummy.