Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

52 {Books} in 52: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

A few months ago I had requested Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith from the library. I didn't read it because I had requested too many books from the library, couldn't extend my check out, and had to return the book. Jane Austen's original is one of my favorite books and I love practically every adaptation of it (especially the BBC version) so I was curious to see how Seth Grahame-Smith weaved zombies into this classic story. While I still prefer the original, the book was pretty entertaining and borderline ridiculous (funny ha ha ridiculous). I mean, in a time when there were so many strict "rules of society" you have women doing roundhouse kicks and kicking zombie butt with daggers hidden by their ankles. That's just plain amusing! I think the book does a great job of introducing the Victorian tale to a new generation of readers who are more and more into gore, violence, and action.

With all that said, the book is interesting. I don't think it's a read for purists of the story and I also don't think it's a read for those with vivid imaginations  (lots of vomit and brain-eating talk). I liked reading the book because I like the tale but, in a way, I kind of wish I just read the original again.
 Pride-and-Prejudice-and-Zombies-Cover

Here's what I've read for my 52 {Books} in 52 challenge:

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
4. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
5. Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace by Ayelet Waldman
6. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

As a side note, I'm sorry I have been such a bad blogger lately. Emotional exhaustion is definitely getting the better of me and at the end of the day all I want to do is immerse myself in a book and escape my reality.  I hope to reach a new normal once my grandmother is out of the hospital and Alex starts PGY3 and {hopefully} becomes more patient and less stressed.
Stephanie

No comments: