Saturday, March 19, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Sour Cream Cherry Coffee Cake

Cherry Cake
I made this cake a few weeks back in celebration of National Cherry Pie Day. I know I didn't actually make a pie but I celebrated by making the cherry pie filling. I had cherries to use up and I didn't want them to go to waste. As soon as I saw Katrina post the recipe I knew this is what I would be using my cherries on. The cake was so good! You really can never go wrong with boxed cake mix and this cake was sweet, fluffy, moist, and slightly tart due to the cherries. I sprinkled the cake with powdered sugar when it was fresh out of the oven because I was too lazy to make a glaze like Katrina did in her original recipe.

Sour Cream Cherry Coffee Cake
Source: adapted by Katrina of Baking and Boys! from Mommy's Kitchen

1 – 18 oz. package white cake mix
8 oz. light sour cream
3 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cherry pie filling, recipe bellow

Preheat oven to 350. Spray two 8x8 inch baking pan or a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray (or line with non stick foil). Mix together the sour cream, eggs, water and almond extract. Combine with the cake mix and mix until smooth. Spread mixture into baking dish and spoon the pie filling over the batter. Make sure to swirl the pie filling throughout the batter. If not the pie filling will settle in the middle.Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack until room temperature.


Cherry Pie Filling
Source: Beth Campbell on Allrecipes.com

2 pounds sour cherries, pitted
1 1/8 cups white sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter

In a saucepan, combine cherries, sugar and cornstarch. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the juices thicken and become translucent. Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
Stephanie

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Yum to make your own filling (which I agree is BEST!). Thanks for the link love.
I have had rave reviews on this cake at home and with the people I gave it to.

Julie M. said...

Yep, that'll work for me. When we go camping, I cook a somewhat similar dish in the dutch oven and it is go-oo-ood. Delicious recipe and I love that you made your own homemade cherry filling!

Caroline said...

This looks so good. I love cherry filling in pretty much anything - I nknow I'd love this!