Friday, January 2, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Eggnog Pound Cake


I had seen the recipe for eggnog pound cake on Slow Like Honey's blog and was dying to try it. This dessert was the only thing I baked in Miami because I feel extremely uncomfortable baking in Abuela's kitchen. That's her territory and I don't like to encroach. I think she was happy that I made this cake because she had been urging me to drink eggnog for a few days. Now I must confess that I only like eggnog when it has a lot of rum in it, otherwise I find it too slimy and thick. This cake was a great baking choice and it was perfect for wrapping up and giving away as gifts. The cake did not have an overwhelming eggnog taste but you could really taste the nutmeg. The batter is very thick, so be prepared to give your mixer a workout. If you have a little bit of eggnog leftover from this past holiday season I definitely recommend giving this cake and its glaze a try.

Eggnog Pound Cake with Crystal Rum Glaze
Source: Baking for All Occasions by Flo Baker
Yield: Makes one 10-inch tube cake, 20 servings (3 thin slices per serving)

Pound Cake
1/2 cup dried currants (I omitted)
2 Tbsp dark rum or water (I used rum)
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
8 oz. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup store-bought refrigerated (rather than canned) eggnog
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1. In a small bowl, combine the currants and rum and set aside to macerate for 15 minutes. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) or 325°F (160°C) if the pan has a dark finish). Butter a 10-by-3-inch Bundt pan, lightly coat it with nonstick spray, then flour it, tapping out the excess flour. Or, butter and flour a 10-by-4 1/4-inch tube pan with or without a removable bottom. If the pan has an intricate design or detail, I take extra precaution, spreading it first with solid vegetable shortening, followed by a coating of nonstick spray, and then a dusting of flour to ensure the finished cake releases in one piece. Have all of the ingredients at room temperature.

2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg onto a sheet of waxed paper; set aside. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-low speed until creamy and smooth, 30 to 45 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the sugar in a steady stream and continue to beat on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 5 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

3. With the mixer still on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition until incorporated and stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. On the lowest speed, add the flour mixture in four additions alternately with the eggnog in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and mixing after each addition until incorporated. Stop the mixer as needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla during the final moments of mixing.

4. Detach the paddle and bowl from the mixer, and tap the paddle against the side of the bowl to free the excess batter. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the currants and any remaining rum (I put in the 2 Tbsp of rum). Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly with the spatula.

5. Bake the cake just until the top springs back when lightly touched in the center and the sides are beginning to come away from the pan, 55 to 65 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes while you prepare the glaze.

Crystal Rum Glaze

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp dark rum
2 Tbsp water

1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, rum, and water and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended.

2. Without delay, tilt and rotate the cake pan while gently tapping it on a counter to release the cake sides. Invert a wire rack on top of the cake, invert the cake onto it, and carefully lift off the pan. Slide a sheet of waxed paper under the rack to catch any drips from the glaze. Using a pastry brush, coat the top and sides of the warm cake with all of the glaze. Let the cake cool completely before serving.

3. To serve, slide the base of a tart pan, a small rimless baking sheet, or a large offset spatula under the cake and carefully transfer it to a serving platter. Cut the cake into thin slices with a sharp or serrated knife.
The mini cakes


Taste testing


All wrapped up

3 comments:

Kristina R. said...

These look great. I know my husband will love this recipe.

Katy said...

that sounds so good! my fiance loves pound cake, but it's so hard to find an interesting twist for it -- i am bookmarking this!

Unknown said...

I made this cake for my office Christmas party. I found that 55 minutes wasn't near enough time for the cake to finish cooking. When I took it out at 55 minutes, there was lots of wet batter still on my tester knife that I stuck into the cake. I added 15 minutes to the cooking time and that pretty much finished it up. (It was still a bit moist in the center but it was edible.)

Another thing that happened was that it fell when I took it out of the oven. It had puffed up pretty high in my angel food tube pan. But when I took it out, the center part near the ring fell in a lot. Did that happen to anyone else? Again, the flavor was pretty good, but it was much more dense and heavy than I had anticipated. I wish it had been a bit fluffier. Will adding an additional egg help with that problem?