Thursday, January 8, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Happy Blog Birthday!

Another day, another birthday. This time, however, it's my blog's birthday! I can't believe I started this blog a year ago. When I first started this blog I thought it would be a place to post restaurant reviews and a few of my favorite recipes, but then it evolved into something else. Now it's also a place for baking and my random musings. I'm very excited to see where this blog goes over the course of the next year because I am sure it's going to go places I didn't anticipate them going.

In celebration of this special day, I made a cake. Not just any cake either, a chocolate amaretto cake. I had seen the recipe for this cake, which is from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, on Bake or Break's blog. I jazzed it up a bit and made an amaretto glaze to top the cake. The cake was delicious and very moist and the glaze was such a nice touch.

Chocolate Amaretto Bundt Cake
Source: The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook (print out here from Bake or Break's blog)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
1 cup milk
3 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons amaretto-flavored liqueur

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.

Sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add the chocolate and mix well. Add the flour/baking soda mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk and the extracts. Beat after each addition until smooth. Mix in the liqueur. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 20 minutes. Then, remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

Amaretto Glaze

1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

2 1/2 tsp milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond extract extract
4 Tbsp Amaretto

Mix all ingredients together. The mixture should be liquid, but still cover the back of a spoon. Pour on cooled cake.

Enjoy!


So delicious!


A Drizzle


A moist slice.

2 comments:

pinkstripes said...

Happy Blogoversary! Your bundt cake looks delicious.

Jacque said...

Yea for you! The cake looks fantastic...mmm, amaretto...