Monday, September 13, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

{Becki} Project Empowering Motherhood

PEM Logo
Today we hear from Becki of Becki Bakes. Becki found out about my blog through Jenny of rainy day gal and contacted me about being a part of this series. I'm so glad she contacted me because I love discovering new blogs and she has a great one. Becki is the mom of two girls, Lauren and Danielle, a runner, and a baker (memorial surprise cake! cheesecake! chocolate chip cookies!). She also writes the most beautiful posts about her mother and motherhood (she mentions the one I like best below) and she makes me wish my relationship with my mother was like her relationship with her mother.

Here are Becki's answers:

1. One ugly truth about motherhood. Even if you are fortunate enough to "just" be a stay-at-home Mom, there is no "down time." Especially for the first six months or so! You will be subject to your baby's every beck and call, and that usually means very little sleep, few showers, and more snacks than meals. It may not feel like it at the time, but hang in there because it is totally worth it in the end. Seriously, though. Sleep deprivation is no joke.

Also, becoming a Mother will suddenly make you understand and appreciate your own Mother in a whole new way. This usually comes with quite a bit of guilt as you realize how much you took your Mom for granted (at least this was my experience!).

2. What does motherhood mean to you? I wrote a blog post that covers my feelings about this pretty well - http://www.beckibakes.com/2010/07/08/the-keepers/ - motherhood is so much more than feeding and clothing children until they're old enough to send off into the world on their own. Becoming a Mother means becoming a touchstone to your children - you will keep all their secrets, know all their details, log their most precious memories and milestones. You will always be that safe place that your children come home to, even when they are grown and have children of their own.

3) How has motherhood empowered you? I feel like I have taken a step back from myself and see things in a much clearer way now - at least as far as things like my own insecurities and preoccupations. I'm not so self-conscious anymore because 1) my focus isn't on me anymore, it's on the girls and making sure that their needs are met and 2) things that seemed important before just don't seem that way anymore. I might be a few pounds overweight, I might not have the coolest clothes in the world or drive the fanciest car, but there are two little girls who I GAVE BIRTH TO, that are happy, healthy, smart and adorable that speak so much more deeply to my abilities and worth as a person than any of those other things ever did.

Giving birth and taking care of the girls has made me feel so much more capable - I could and would do ANYTHING for them, of course, but I have also discovered new depths and interests and abilities in myself. I love it!

Thank you Becki for sharing your mothering and motherhood experiences with us. Your girls are lucky to have someone like you cataloging their lives. I hope that your cataloging of Lauren and Danielle's lives will always keep you connected to the catologer of your life and help the missing be less intense.

Project Empowering Motherhood is an ongoing series in celebration and honor of Cati's 6 months. For my responses to the questions and more about the series, go HERE. To read Jenn, Melisa, Esther, Andrea, Jenny, Jen, Mollie, Jamie, Charlotte, Erika, Shari, Julie, Lenore, Caroline, Alex, Prudy, Delia, and Kelly's answers, go HERE. If you are interested in participating and being featured on the blog send your answers to the three questions to steppystar@aol.com.  

1 comment:

Becki D said...

Hey lady!!!

Wow, I am late. I just realized you'd posted me! Thank you so much for sharing my answers, and for all your kind words. This is such a neat project you have going!!