Saturday, September 18, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Crock Pot Dulce de Leche

Dulce de Leche
I grew up calling dulce de leche arequipe because that's what Colombians call dulce de leche. I used to eat it straight out of the little container or on a cookie similar to a pizzelle. It was always a treat to have arequipe in our house because the sugary goodness was not cheap and it definitely was not a necessity. I have always wanted to try to make dulce de leche but I didn't have the energy or desire to cook it on the stove top.  When I cam across this recipe I jumped for joy. All you do is stick a can of condensed milk in a slow cooker filled with water and a few hours later you have caramel gold. This is a lot cheaper than buying the pre-made dulce de leche.

Crock Pot Dulce de Leche
Source: A Year of Slow Cooking (here)

2 cans sweetened condensed milk
Water

Take label off cans. Put cans in the bottom of your crock pot. Add enough water to completely cover the can. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Dulce de Leche
 Stephanie

1 comment:

Eliana said...

I would have never thought to make dulce de leche in a crock pot. What a genius idea.