Friday, November 14, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Apple Cake


When I first brought home my apples I sent an email around asking for apple recipes. Jen was kind enough to share a great recipe with me and I figured I should do the same and share the recipe with everyone else. This apple cake is incredibly moist and the use of a red apple was a perfect complement to the cake. The apple's tartness and crispness balanced out the cake's sweetness and softness.

Thanks Jen!

Apple Cake

For the cake:
1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening (I used 5 Tbsp of regular butter)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 red apple, peeled and chopped

For topping:
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cold butter
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch baking dish.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix well. In separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet mixture and mix well. Add sour cream and mix well. Gently stir in chopped apple. Spoon batter into baking dish.

In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture and walnuts over batter.

Bake for approx. 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

Serve and enjoy!

Pretty!

A slice.


Delicious!


2 comments: