Saturday, August 4, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

To Frost or Not Frost

IMG_9502
Where do you stand on frosting? I'm of the less is more stance and I would be perfectly happy eating cakes and cupcakes without frosting. In fact, the only time I frost anything around here is when I'm going to be sharing what I bake with others. Even then, I try to put the least amount of frosting as possible, a thin layer of frosting on a cake or a dollop of frosting on a cupcake. I see the benefits of frosting, it makes desserts pretty and adds a creaminess to the cake, but, for me at least, there is a thin line between frosting adding to the cake and frosting overwhelming the cake. So with all that said, here's a cupcake recipe that works just as well without frosting as it does with frosting. Red Velvet is always fun to make and I love how easy this recipe comes together.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Source: McCormick on Allrecipes.com
Yields 2 dozen cupcakes

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 (1 ounce) bottle McCormick® Red Food Color
2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.

Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.

No comments: