Anyway, come race day it is COLD outside. As in the temperature was in the teens and it felt like it was in the negative. I knew I needed to get the run in because my motivation would be very low to do 15 miles on the treadmill, so I layered up like I have never layered up before. I barely made it to the start line on time because my taxi left me and I ended up having to drive to the race. This was probably a blessing because it meant I was warmed up from having to rush!
The race itself was almost a straight shot along the lake and the miles passed by comfortably. My only complaint was that it was so cold my butt hurt for the first 5 miles of the race. All I could think about was my butt and the numbing feeling that wouldn't go away. It eventually went away and I was able to finish the race without feeling like my butt froze over.
While it was cold, I'm so happy I did the race and was able to push myself out of my comfort zone to get my miles in and stick to my modified training schedule. I felt so awesome and unstoppable after running this race. I also questioned my sanity a bit! It takes a little bit of madness to go out there and run in those cold conditions.
What I liked:
- The course was right along the lake.
- The yeti at mile 7.5 was a fun break to the race.
- The medal for this race was gorgeous.
- Mile markers at every .5 mile mark, which I found helpful because the miles feel eternal for me when it's cold.
- Having my packet ahead of time because I registered early.
What I Didn't Like:
- Not the race's issue, obviously, but it was cold! I was happy when I finished because I was able to go to my car to heat up. I felt bad for those running the challenges and having to stay outside between challenges.
I get to test that grit again this weekend with the Miami Marathon! I can't believe race weekend is finally here. My goal for this race is to enjoy it with all my friends that I haven't seen since I left Miami in July and finish with a smile. Wish me luck!
For more on my marathon weekend, follow along on Instagram @thecookierunner. I promise there will be fun stuff on there!