Sunday, September 1, 2013

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Protein Cupcakes with Chobani Frosting


Remember how I said I hadn't really baked anything in a while? That was kind of a lie and these protein cupcakes are the reason why. Because I am eating healthier and trying to get the family to eat healthier, I have been on the search for healthy or semi-healthy desserts. I came across this recipe for protein cupcakes and really liked the simplicity of ingredients. The picture on Clean Food Creative Fitness looked so good that I didn't change a thing about the recipe and even tripled the ingredients to make more cupcakes. Tripling the recipe wasn't the greatest idea because it created a batter that was very eggy. Don't get me wrong, the baked cupcake was good (the girls really like them), but it reminded me more of a vanilla souffle. Next time I know to tweak the recipe a bit by reducing the eggs and increasing the amount of ground flaxseed.

In an attempt to get the whole family on board with these cupcakes (I'm talking about Alex here) I made a protein Chobani frosting. The frosting had the tartness of the Greek yogurt and none of the aftertaste you sometimes get with protein powder. I actually liked the cupcakes better with the frosting than the girls did. Again, more tweaking in the future so I can come up with a healthy cupcake that will fool even the pickiest of eaters in my house.

Protein Cupcakes
Source: Clean Food Creative Fitness
Yields: 18 mini cupcakes

6 Tbsp protein
3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
3 egg
6 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill the cavities of the baking pan with cupcake liners.

In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients. Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full.

Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until puffed up and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.

Frost, serve, and enjoy!

Chobani Frosting

1/2 cup vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1-2 Tbsp milk

In a small bowl, using a hand blender, combine the yogurt and protein powder.

Slowly add milk until the frosting is creamy and smooth.

Follow me on Instagram! Instagram

Stephanie

No comments: