Friday, February 28, 2014

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Disney's Glass Slipper Challenge Race Recap

Before I get into my recap, I wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who helped make my weekend in Disney possible. I signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge through a charity (Give Kids The World) and had the goal of raising $3,000 for the charity. Without all the donors and support I received in my six months of fundraising, I would have never met that goal and been able to run last weekend. So, thank you!!

The Glass Slipper Challenge was to run 10K (6.2 miles) Saturday and a half marathon (13.1 miles) Sunday. Having done the Princess Half Marathon last year, I knew these weren't the types of races you did for time. For me, these races were training runs with lots of stops for pictures. Trust me, I stopped a lot along the way during both runs and my watch almost died on me during the half. I don't think I have enjoyed a race as much as I did these two races. I especially loved the medals and knowing that I worked so hard to get them made these medals even more meaningful for me.

The 10K run started and ended in Epcot. The course itself took me out to the highways, into the park, and on the boardwalk. I was in corral A so I was in the first group of runners to start. For people outside of Florida, it was hot and humid, but for me it was perfect running weather. The first three miles of any run are usually my hardest so I wasn't surprised that I felt like I was running on air during the last three miles. The highlight for me was probably seeing Jeff Galloway running along the course. I finished the 10k in about 1:10.


The half marathon also started and ended in Epcot but the course took me out onto the highways, through Magic Kingdom and Cinderella's castle, highways again, and then through Epcot. I was in corral D so I didn't have to wait too long to start running. It was foggy morning and humid again, but the weather was perfect for running for me. I waited in all the lines of the characters the girls' knew and in the lines of the characters that would make for fun stories to tell the girls. I really, really, really enjoyed having this last stress-free run to focus on having fun without all the self-imposed stress of gaining a new personal record. I finished the half in 2:52 and was so thankful my watch didn't die!

Disney races are expensive, but the experience is worth the price. I said it last year and I will say it again, but I think Disney races are great races for first timers because the races are such productions. There is so  much entertainment on the course that the miles don't feel as long. I'll be in Chicago next year, but I am hoping to be able to participate in this challenge again next February.


What I liked:
  • Another running vacation!
  • Loved running through the parks and the castle. 
  • Great characters on the course for pictures. 
  • Plenty of entertainment on course to distract you from thinking about mileage.
  • All the costumes!
  • Fireworks at the start line send-off for half marathoners. 

What I didn't like:
  • The price of the races!
  • Having my race entry tied to my fundraising goal. 
  • Weather was fine for me, but I know others didn't like the heat or humidity. 
  • Again, not an issue for me, but these races are extremely walker-friendly. Not ideal if you are running for time. 
  • Long wait times for the other corrals. 
  • Some of the lines for the characters were too long. 

Next Race Recap is this weekend's Michelob Ultra 13.1. This race might solidify my craziness and I hope to survive back-to-back half marathons!


Follow me on Facebook and Instagram! Instagram

Stephanie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aw wow this looks so fun! I know loads of people who would love to be involved with something like this for charity