Congratulations to MASH Up Conditioning winner
I tried trail running and I loved it! This race was runner's serendipity. I was supposed to run six miles March 8th and didn't manage to wake up Saturday morning to run (running alone is hard!). Sunday night, before dinner, I logged onto Facebook and saw that Run South Florida had posted a listing of the weekend's races. One of the races was for Down 2 Earth Trail Run. The distances were 5K, 10K, and half marathon. I sent my friend a text message asking if she would run the 10K with me and she responded with "yes!" I signed up that night while Alex was bathing the girls and went to sleep very nervous about the trails. I had run trails before during the obstacle course races, but for some reason, just running the trails scared me.
I don't know why I was scared because I had the best time on the run. It was disorienting and exhilarating at the same time. I was so focused on the path directly in front of me and keeping an eye out for markers that the miles flew by. Nature took care of the intervals and I found myself running most of the 6.2 miles. This race challenged me and pushed my limits. I wondered out loud at least ten times whether we were lost, slipped twice, and fell twice. The best part of the run really was sharing it with my friend and having her love it so much that she said she couldn't wait to run the trails again. Coming from someone who used to always say she didn't like the outdoors, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this race. I guess this just shows me that I love running so much I can do it anywhere and still love it.
What I liked:
- Even though we did two loops, it didn't feel that way because nothing on the trails was recognizable the second time around.
- Sufficient signage.
- We unleashed our inner Katniss Everdeen.
- Trails felt great on my knees.
- Race director was hilarious and personable. You can tell he loves organizing these races.
- Small race.
- Oleta National Park: beautiful trails.
- The company.
- Sufficient water on the course.
- No need for an interval timer.
What I didn't like:
- I love race medals and this race gave us beads instead.