They say that before you do your second marathon you need to have gotten over your first marathon. This is exactly how I feel about my first trail half marathon, Down 2 Earth. I've had races that are hard mentally and runs that are hard physically. For me, the trail 13.1 was both. I signed up for the race as a training run and somehow roped my friend into doing the race as well. I have never felt so bad about getting someone to run with me as this course was not easy (trails really are a whole different beast).
- For as much as I haven't been able to get over this run, I did like the fact that it challenged me and reminded me that I am strong enough to overcome the bully in my head.
- Inexpensive entry fee and easy day-of packet pickup.
- Cool trails.
- Having my friend as company for half of the race and then seeing her face at the finish line.
- This race made me really respect all those runners out there who prefer and excel in the trails.
- 7:30am start time so we started running in full sunlight, but the trails were so well covered you didn't even feel the heat of the day.
- General feelings of bad-assery associated with having simply finished.
- I would have liked a more memorable medal.
- Sparsely populated course.
- It was hard as hell (whine, whine).
Next race recap will be Rock n Roll Chicago 5K from July 19th.