Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Apple Walnut Bread

I'll let you in on a little secret: I was the one that really wanted to go apple picking because I wanted to have a reason to bake with apples. Aside from eating them as is, I love just about every apple dessert in existence. Sure, I wanted the girls to experience apple picking because I had such great memories of my first time apple picking, but I also have even better memories of all the things I baked. The only glitch in this plan is that whatever I bake has to be something that comes together quickly and easily as time is short during the weeknights. Thankfully, most apple desserts come together quickly (I usually spend more time chopping apples than doing everything else) and I can put something in the oven to bake while we sit down to have dinner.

The first apple recipe of the season that I conquered was an Apple Walnut Bread. I chose this recipe because I knew I had all the ingredients and because I got a craving for apples and walnuts after seeing so many great recipes on Pinterest. I made minor changes to the recipe, used a Golden Delicious apple, and halved the recipe (below). The end product was so good! We ate slices of the bread with and without butter and I think I preferred the buttered slices because it made me feel like the fall season inside. Even more surprising to me was that Alex liked it; he usually doesn't like anything I've tinkered with to make healthier. 

Apple Walnut Bread
Source: Slightly adapted from On Sutton Place

1/2 cup vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 medium apple, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare one medium loaf pan or 2 small pans by spraying them with non-stick cooking spray.

Beat together first 4 ingredients. Add the dry ingredients mixing well and scraping sides of the bowl.

Fold in the apples and the nuts. Pour batter into loaf pan(s). Bake for  35-40 min., or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let sit and cool for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Follow me on Pinterest @steppystar to see what I else plan on baking with these apples. Also, give a follow on Facebook and Instagram @thecookierunner to see more about my Chicago and baking adventures!
Stephanie

1 comment:

Betsy said...

That looks SO good. I am going to have to make it!