Monday, November 30, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Thanksgiving Recap

Have you had enough Thanksgiving food? With the exception of breakfast and two lunches all I have eaten since Wednesday is Thanksgiving food. I'm not sick of the food yet but I am happy to report that all the leftovers are a meal or two away from being gone. I can't get over the amount of turkey I have eaten. I have eaten from THREE different turkeys. I do not eat turkey at all during the rest of the year so I definitely overdo it with the turkey during Thanksgiving.

Our Turkey Day Marathon started off on Wednesday with a dinner at Alex's parent's house. They decided to celebrate it early since Alex was on call Thursday. Funny thing about Alex being on call...you have no idea how disappointed I was when I found out he'd be on call on Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday of the year and this is the second year that we don't get to spend the actual holiday together. Last year I spent Thanksgiving alone in Boston because Alex was down here in Miami trying to impress his future potential employer. This year, that potential employer is his employer and made him work Thanksgiving. So dinner with his parents was a day early. There was a ton of food and the most interesting dish was my mother-in-law's sweet potatoes. I'm used to the traditional sweet potato mixed with brown sugar, but she mixed things up and added pineapple juice to the sweet potato. This made the Thanksgiving feel very Floridian.

Bacon wrapped turkey.
The spread. My dish.
Turkey Day Marathon continued on Thursday with a dinner at my mom's house. The day completely sucked because Alex was working and I couldn't tell if I was feeling extra sensitive to this because I'm pregnant. At least I got to see my brother, hang with my sister, and get a ton of my baby books and pictures. It's nice to see how my mom hasn't changed how she does Thanksgiving dinner. There's comfort in finding the same dishes year after year.

The turkey.
The spread. My dish.
Last but not least was the turkey dinner I made on Friday. I felt very strongly about us having a dinner for just the two of us. We have so much to be thankful for and it was really important to me that we got to reflect on how blessed our lives together are. Plus, I was excited about our first turkey dinner in the new house. I didn't get too many pictures of what I made because Alex hadn't eaten anything in close to 20 hours and I didn't want to make him wait while I took pictures.

The turkey.
Partial spread. My dish.

The most interesting "trend" this year was bagging the turkey. Both my in-laws and mom roasted the turkey in a bag. Neither have ever done this and it caught me off guard when I saw the birds come out of the oven in a bag. Both swore the turkey was juicier than normal, but I think my regular roasted turkey was just as juicy. Or maybe I'm just biased.

And now, because one of the things I am thankful for the most is the expansion my love for Alex and of our family I leave you with this picture. I secretly hope our daughter is as cute and happy as I was as a child.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bacon-wrapped turkey looks really, really decadent. I am new to your blog, btw and wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your posts! Thanks!