Monday, August 4, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Sweet Simplicity



There are a few things that are better than a sweet and easy-to-make cupcake. I especially love recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in the pantry. I've had a box of cake flour in the cabinets for a couple of months now, so every time I see a recipe that calls for cake flour I mark it. I had been meaning to make this particular cupcake recipe from Elinor Klivans book since I got the book. The cupcake recipe did not disappoint. It was fluffy and sweet and similar tasting to a basic vanilla cupcake. I wasn't a big fan of the frosting because it was too thick but the cupcake sure did look pretty.

Butter Cake Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
Source: Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans

1 1/4 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
Chocolate buttercream (here)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is blended. Add the vanilla and beat for 2 more minutes. On low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and mixing just until the flour is incorporated and the batter looks smooth.

Fill each paper liner with 1/4 cup of batter, to about 1/2 inch below the top of the liner. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove the cupcakes and place on a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.

Frost and enjoy!




3 comments:

Erin said...

These look yummy! I love the chocolate frosting on top!

~Amber~ said...

These look so moist and delicious! Cupcakes sound do good.

Alisha said...

Hi Stephanie,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com