Thursday, January 19, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Easy Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls

Sour Crean Cinnamon Rolls
I made these Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls last week and I wish I would have the energy or desire to make them this week because they are the perfect sweet treat to ease the sadness by appealing to the taste buds. They are simply lovely and make you feel all kinds of warm inside. My favorite part of making these rolls was having Cati help me along the way. I love how now when I get into the kitchen to bake, she asks for the stairs so she can be level with the counter.
 Sour Crean Cinnamon Rolls
Thank you to all those who reached out to me yesterday. Perla's passing has been hard but I'm doing well and there have been no tears so far today (yesterday I was a red eye, puffy mess though). Explaining to Cati what happened was probably the hardest thing I had to do as a mother. I tried to explain to her where Perla was in a way she would understand so now Perla went bye bye and night night with Baby Jesus and Perla is with the "luna, sol, y estrellas" (moon, sun, and stars). I don't know how much she really gets, it's such an abstract thing to explain. This morning she asked for Perla twice. First, when I told her Perla was bye bye, Cati responded with "Perla abajo" or "Perla downstairs" because she's used to Perla being downstairs waiting for us to come down to have breakfast. I tried my Baby Jesus--luna-sol-estrella explanation. Once downstairs, I guess reality dawned on her and she said, in a voice thisclose to tears, "Perla night night."Again, my explanation and she repeated it back to me. This is part of the adjustment and I'm proud I didn't break down in tears.

Easy Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls
Source: Sugar Plum
Yields 12 rolls

1/4 cup warm water (not hot)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons
1 large egg
1/3 cup low fat sour cream + 2 tablespoons, divided use
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided use
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together water, yeast and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl; allow to sit 5 minutes. Stir in additional 2 tablespoons sugar, egg, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon melted butter, baking powder and salt until well combined. Stir in flour until well combined and a dough ball forms. Lightly cover bowl and allow dough to rise in a warm area for 45 minutes.

Roll dough out into a thin rectangle on a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top. Roll dough up and slice into 12 equal pieces. Place on a large greased cookie sheet. Lightly cover and allow dough to rise in a warm area for 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Brush cinnamon rolls with remaining 1/2 tablespoon melted butter. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer rolls to a wire rack or serving platter.

To make the glaze, mix together remaining 2 tablespoons sour cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until well combined. Drizzle over cinnamon rolls.
Stephanie

No comments: