Friday, April 23, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Fudge Brownies

I love brownies. I have yet to meet a brownie I don't like. They are the perfect little dessert when you need (or want) that chocolate fix and you don't have any chocolate candy bars around. I had been wanting to make brownies for days and just when I was about to make them the baby would wake up and basically cry out, "No kitchen for you lady! I need you NOW!" This happened several times because I was overly hopeful when it came to her taking a long nap.
I finally baked some brownies and the recipe came from my newest cookbook, Deep Dark Chocolate. The brownies are called fudgy brownies and the name couldn't have been more perfect. After Alex's first bite he proclaimed these "very fudgy" brownies as good. For me, the brownies were rich but I find almost anything made with dark chocolate as rich. I topped my brownies with ice cream because, if you are going to indulge in something as rich as fudgy brownies, might as well go all the way and add some ice cream and chocolate sauce.

Good Ol' Fudgy Brownies
Source: Sara Perry's Deep Dark Chocolate

5 oz premium dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup premium unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Place the chocolate and butter in a medium heat-proof bowl and set in a wide pan or skillet of hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes, stirring 4 or 5 times, and let the chocolate melt completely. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk in the eggs, and then stir in the flour until just blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a tester inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs, clinging to it, about 35 minutes. Do not overbake. Transfer to a wire rack and let the brownies cool completely. Cut into squares.

2 comments:

Fallon said...

Yum... I shouldn't be looking at photos like this when I'm trying to get to bed. haha

Katrina said...

Ooh, those look great. I received my book a few days ago. THANK YOU! It's great to look at. I can't wait to make something. Those brownies did catch my eye--even moreso now, seeing yours!