Thursday, November 8, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

M&M Confetti Cookies

IMG_1973
I have been baking and, at the same time, I really haven't been baking. I bake about once a week now and it's usually cookies because I like to bake cookies and they seem to be the type of dessert that fits in well with our lifestyle, especially the grab-and-go lifestyle of two kids almost always on the move. I came across this recipe and knew I would wait until a special day to make them for Cati because M&Ms are her favorite candy. I made these while she was at school and, as soon as she was strapped into her car seat, I told her I had something special waiting for her at home. The funny thing is that she somehow knew I had baked cookies. The best part is that she knew exactly what was in the cookies just by looking at them. These cookies are crunchy and chewy and were a big hit at home and at my school. I can't wait to make them again with more colorful M&Ms. 
IMG_1995


M&M Confetti Cookies
Source: Just Baked
Makes about 30 cookies 

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (10 5/8 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup packed (7 ounces) light brown sugar   
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1 large egg and 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 oz bag of M & Ms, crushed (more or less to your liking)

Adjust the oven racks to the upper- and lower-middle positions.  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Either by hand or with an electric mixer, mix the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until thoroughly blended. Beat in the egg, the yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed (or mix by hand with a spatula) just until combined. Crush the M&Ms in a big Ziploc bag with a rolling pin (or any other heavy object you have handy) . Stir in the crushed M&Ms.

Using a cookie scoop, scoop out dough and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 1/2 inches apart. 

Bake until the cookies are light golden brown, the outer edges start to harden, and  yet the centers are still soft and puffy, about 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through the baking time. Cool the cookies on the sheets.  Remove the cooled cookies from the baking sheets with a wide metal spatula.
Stephanie

No comments: