Friday, October 9, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Easy Peasy Chicken Pot Pie

Something came over me. I don't know what it was, but I really wanted chicken pot pie. I've only had chicken pot pie a handful of times and it's not a dish that shows up regularly in my dinner line-up. The craving hit and I had to make it. I was a little scared because the last (and first) time Alex had chicken pot pie he didn't like it. Granted, it was a store bought one and the pie dough-chicken filling ratio was off, but I was still scared that I would invest a lot of time in making this and have him hate it. So I didn't invest too much time. I didn't make the pie dough from scratch and my veggies were pre-chopped and frozen. I did everything else though. So how did dinner turn out? It was a complete success! It was delicious and Alex ate a quarter of the pie all by himself. Now I have the confidence to make this again and again and again!


Chicken Pot Pie
Source: Le Petit Pierogi (here)

1 box (15 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1/3 cup butter
1 small-medium onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup chicken broth

 1/2 cup milk
2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium skillet, brown chopped chicken until the chicken is cooked through and there is no pink left inside the pieces. Set aside to cool.

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Keep stirring for about 3-5 minutes until the roux has a very light golden color. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened, about 10 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat. Roll out refrigerated pie dough and place on the bottom of a pie pan. Then spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. If desired, brush top of pie with an egg wash. Cut slits in several places in top crust.

Place foil around the edges of the pie crust to prevent excessive browning. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During the last 10 minutes or so, remove foil from edges to allow them to brown as well.

So delicious. I couldn't get any decent fresh-out-the-oven pictures, so here it is the day after.

1 comment:

Eliana said...

This looks super delish and so comforting.