Saturday, October 9, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Gobble Gobble

IMG_3804
Here we go again with me doubting myself. Cati tried her first meat this week: turkey. I was really excited about going from a veggie-only diet to a diet complemented with meats. Cati, however, reacted in a way that made me wonder if I was doing the right thing by making her food. I guess I had high hopes for turkey and was really hoping Cati would love it. As you'll see in the video, Cati took one bite and then didn't want to take another bite. It took me 45 minutes to get her to eat half of the food I had prepared for her (turkey, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and apple). Was it the texture? Was it because she was getting tired (she started rubbing her eyes halfway through)? Was the combination a bad tasting one?

Baby's Turkey
Source: Cooking for Baby by Lisa Barnes
Makes ~2 cups

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup water
Breast milk, cooking water, or formula
1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional-for every cup of ground turkey)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (optional-for every cup of ground turkey)

 In a skillet, cook turkey in water. Add turkey to food processor and purée until smooth.  Add fluid until turkey reaches the desired consistency for eating.

Note: I added about 3-4 oz of breast milk per cup of turkey to get the turkey to a consistency I felt Cati would eat.

Update: First two attempts at eating turkey were a bust. Cati would eat, but very, very slowly. On the third attempt, Cati ate like a champ. It's probably because it was something like 5:1 veggies to turkey.

The players.
Turkey
The puree. 
Turkey
The baby.
IMG_3811

Stephanie

1 comment:

Desi said...

love 'the baby's' face! she doesn't look like she liked it! :) cutie though!