Friday, December 19, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Molasses Cookies


I didn't even know molasses cookies existed until my friend Edgar introduced them to me about a year ago. The first molasses cookie I had was one at Starbucks and that cookies was so good that I was instantly hooked. It was soft, chewy and spicy. I tried to share my excitement with Alex but he wasn't feeling the cookie at all. Sigh. You can't win them all. At least I can share my excitement Edgar and, in an effort to recreate the Starbucks cookies, I made him molasses cookies for his birthday. The cookies I made had the right amount of spice but they weren't chewy. I mean, they were chewy when I took them our of the oven, but they hardened as they cooled. I think the biggest culprit was the baking time. The recipe suggests 12-14 minutes but I think they should have been baked for less time. If you have any other suggestions or even recipe, let me know!

Happy Birthday Edgar!

Crackle Top Molasses Cookies
Source: All Recipes (here)

2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar (I used 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 brown sugar)
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 (heaping) teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (heaping) teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 (heaping) teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

In a large bowl mix oil and 1 cup of sugar. Add egg, beat well. Stir in molasses, vanilla, 2 cups flour, baking soda and spices. If necessary, add more flour to make a firm dough.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll in 1/3 cup sugar. Place 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until tops crack. Remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.

Crackle top


I love sugar!

No comments: