Friday, August 28, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Daring Bakers: Dobos Torte

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

This cake is a stunner. Don't be like me and think twice about this cake because of its name. The cake is called a Dobos Torte and for some reason it makes me giggle each time I say it. I had trouble taking it seriously. Grow up Steph, right? Making the sponge cake involves a few steps but it's amazing how you can get such a deliciously light cake in such a short amount of time. Putting it together is the best part, especially when your fingers are all covered with chocolate frosting. I didn't use the chocolate buttercream frosting recipe provided by the hosts for safety reasons but I did find a fantastic substitute recipe. Like I said before, the sponge cake is very light and it's a perfect cake to be paired with any type of frosting. Actually, it's begging to be paired with other types of frosting. Between the cake, the frosting, the hazelnuts, and the caramel topping, you can't go wrong with this cake.

The recipe is quite long so I recommend going to Angela or Lorraine's posts of the Dobos Torte for the recipe. I also recommend checking out the DB blogroll...people created some beautiful cakes this month.

Chocolate Frosting

Source: RecipeZaar (
here)

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened

2 Tbsp milk

9 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled to lukewarm

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar


Note: to melt the chocolate, place in a double boiler over simmering water on low heat for 5-10 minutes; stir occasionally until the chocolate is completely smooth and no pieces remain; remove from heat and let cool 5-15 minutes or until lukewarm.


In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter using an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes or until creamy.

Add the milk carefully and beat until smooth.

Add the melted chocolate and beat well for 2 minutes.

Add the vanilla and beat for 3 minutes.

Gradually add in the sugar and beat on low speed until creamy and of desired consistency.


3 comments:

Holly said...

Your cake looks fab! Your layers look so fluffy. Great Job!

Fallon said...

I love Dobos Torte! I grew up eating this cake all the time. Last year I finally was able to learn the recipe our good family friend has from HER mother. It very time consuming but so worth it.

Christine said...

I think the layers are what seal the deal for this cake. Sure, they're thinner, but if anyone's like me we like to eat each layer separately and here you can do that five times! Nice job with the cake =)