Saturday, April 28, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Vanilla Madeleines

Vanilla Madeleines
My second favorite cookie is the delectable Madeleine. I don't make them as often as I should and that's probably a good thing because I can easily eat a dozen of these cookies in an hour. I love them in all their incarnations, from gingerbread to white chocolate. I made these Vanilla Madeleines as Cati's introduction to this cookie and she loved them. She did, however, keep pointing out to me that these were not in fact cookies, but cake. These are cookie cakes, that's true, and very fine ones indeed. These madeleines had a very wholesome taste and tasted a lot like this Sour Cream Bundt Cake I made a few weeks ago. What I liked the most about this recipe was how easy it came together and how there was no need for refrigerating.

Vanilla Madeleines
Source: Baking Bites
Yields: 24 cookies

2 large eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
8 tbsp butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease and flour your madeleine pans (unless you are using nonstick, in which case light greasing is all that is necessary).

In a large bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until smooth and thick, 1-2 minutes. Add in vanilla and salt. Sift flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix until it is just combined, and no streaks of flour remain visible.

Slowly add in the melted butter, streaming it in while you stir constantly (or mix at a low speed) and it is well combined.

Place a generous 1 tbsp batter into each cavity of your prepared pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until cookies are golden around the edges.

Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from the pan. The pan should be cooled, regreased and floured before filling it with more batter (it is ok if the batter must be used in batches) for another batch.
Stephanie

1 comment:

Desi said...

Madellines are on my bucket list to make :)