Monday, March 30, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Root Beer Bundt Cake

I am late. I was supposed to post this yesterday and there is a perfectly good explanation as to why it didn't get posted. I made the cake around 5pm yesterday and by the time it was out of the oven and frosted, the lighting in my apartment was horrible. I couldn't get a decent shot of this delicious cake. So no good pictures to share means no post. But it's here now! This recipe is part of a Bake Along and it was chosen by Nic of Bakeologie. Megan of My Baking Adventures was nice enough to email me the recipe...thanks Megan! The cake was delicious and Alex was raving that it's one of the best chocolate cakes I have ever made. The root beer flavor wasn't too pronounced in the recipe but you could tell this wasn't your traditional chocolate cake. The recipe comes from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, which is a book I have been wanting. I give the book sexy eyes every time I go to the book store. I've hinted at wanting the book but Alex isn't good when it comes to hints. Either he's immune to my attempts at hinting or he thinks I have enough cookbooks. I'd like to think it's the former because a person can never have too many cookbooks :)
Root Beer Bundt Cake

2 cups root beer (do not use diet root beer)
1 c. dark unsweetened cocoa powder (I used half dark, half regular)
½ c. butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 ¼ c. granulated sugar
½ c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 c. all purpose flour
1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs

Root Beer Fudge Frosting
2 oz. dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
½ c. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp salt
¼ c. root beer
2/3 c. dark unsweetened cocoa powder (I used regular)
2 ½ c. powdered sugar
To Serve:
Vanilla Ice Cream

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Generously spray the inside of a 10” bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a small saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs just until beaten, then whisk them into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy - do not overbeat it, as it will cause the cake to be tough.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 35-40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the cooking time, until a small sharp knife inserted in the cake comes clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Gently loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto the rack.

Root Beer Fudge Frosting:
Put all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse in short bursts until the frosting is shiny and smooth.

Use a spatula to spread the fudge frosting over the crown of the bundt in a thick layer. Let the frosting set before serving, with the ice cream on the side.

11 comments:

Megan said...

Yay! Thanks for baking along with us - and I'm glad you both liked the cake.

Chocolate cake is very difficult to photograph (for me), but your picture and cake are perfect!

Nichicakes said...

That looks awesome, your frosting looks way more luscious than some others. Did you do anything differently?
Glad you got to bake along with us.

Fallon said...

Just order your Baked cookbook from Amazon.com. I've been looking at it for months and I don't know why I waited to order it, but I just did it over the weekend. I've been wanting the cookbook for a while and like you.. I already have so many cookbooks. Way better then textbooks ;)

pinkstripes said...

Your bundt cake looks delicious. Root beer sounds interesting. You have to get Baked. Everything I've made from there is fantastic.

Unknown said...

Your cake looks wonderful. And the book is worth it - get it! Get it!

Maria said...

The cake looks fantastic!

Mermaid Sews said...

No you can never have too many cupcakes. You could try the amazon wish list - I shamelessly did that!

Mermaid Sews said...

I meant cookbooks - but probably cupcakes too! I think I have been reading about too many cupcakes tonight!

Elyse said...

Mmm, Baked has yet to let me down. I just adore their recipes!! I have yet to try this one, though, and your stellar review has convinced me that I need to make this ASAP. Plus, your pictures are making me super hungry!

What's for Supper? said...

This was a good cake....just no root beer flavor that I was so looking forward to.

Stephanie said...

Nichi, I added more root beer to my frosting. It didn't have the right consistency with what the recipe called for.