Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Birthday DIY: Ballerina Wreath

A couple of weeks ago I had a "I need to get things done NOW" moment. In that moment I worked on several little projects for the baby's birthday party. One of the things I wanted to do was a tutu wreath for the front door. I used this tutorial on How to Make Tulle Pom Poms from Homemade Gift Ideas.

I used 12" wreath and it took 4 yards of ribbon to get it fully wrapped.
IMG_8297

You start with the pom pom.
IMG_8304

Holding it in the center, you fold the edges down.
IMG_8301

Until it looks like this. The other side will look like a tulle rosette.
IMG_8299

Then, using a hot glue gun, you put glue on the bottom of the tulle rosette and attach to the wreath. Continue this until you get the desired coverage.
IMG_8306

In total, I used up 27 tulle pom poms the size of my Apple wireless mouse. The wreath would have obviously required more if I covered more but I only wanted to cover the top part.
IMG_8308

This is the wreath with a bow glued on.
IMG_8307

I couldn't decide whether I wanted to leave the wreath plain or add something to it. I found this "Ballerina" sticker at Michael's and bought it as something to potentially add to the wreath. I let Alex decide which he liked best and he voted for the addition of the ballerina sticker. So here's the final wreath:
IMG_8316

All in all, this project cost me less than $10. The tulle was bought from Linentablecloths on Ebay, the wreath and ribbon were 25% off at Michael's, and the sticker was buy one, get one free at Michael's as well.
Stephanie

1 comment:

breedwoman said...

so cute! can't wait to see more!