Saturday, March 5, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Slow Cooker Shepherd's Pie

IMG_0358
I am always looking for a reason to use my slow cooker. I love the idea of throwing things into the pot and letting it cook, slowly, for an entire day. I can across this recipe for Shepherd's Pie and jumped at the chance to make it. It came out delicious but was different from other Shepherd's Pies I've had in the past. Everything kind of melted together and the corn gave the dish a sweet taste. The meat actually burned a bit because it cooked longer than it should have; I think three hours on low would have been more than enough time.

Shepherd's Pie with Creamy Corn Filling
Source: The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson
Serves 4-6

1 lb lean ground beef
2 onions finely chopped (I omitted)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp paprilka
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup condensed beef broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste (I used puree)
1-8.5 oz can cream-style corn
4 cups mashed potatoes, seasoned with 1 tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a skillet over high heat, cook beef until meat is no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Drain off liquid.

Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook until softened. Add garlic, paprika, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for one minute. Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir and cook for one minute. Add beef broth and tomato paste, stir  to combine and cook, until thickened.

Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Spread corn evenly over mixture and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheese on top, cover and cook on Low for 4-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours, until hot and bubbly.
Stephanie

2 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

this sounds really good! I've never done corn in my shepards pie, sounds yummy!

Anna said...

Did you see Every Day Food's recipe for slow cooker brownies? I haven't tried the recipe, but I like the idea of cooking them in the slow cooker. I'll bet it makes the house smell good.

Thanks for the Shepard's Pie recipe.