Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Cookie Wednesday: Outrageous Chocolate Cookies

There have been exciting developments around here. Catarina finally likes her swing! This is a wonderful development because it means more time in the kitchen for me. Woo hoo! I've been able to get some baking done because she'll hang out in the swing calmly for about 30 minutes. You have no idea how awesome this is! I'm still going to stick to desserts with quick prep time but I feel like this opens up a whole new baking world.
Anyway, this week's cookie is one of the cookies selected for Cookie Carnival. Remember them? I used to participate and then fell off the wagon but now I'm back. Tami, our new host, was gracious enough to forgive my absence. I decided to go with the Outrageous Chocolate Cookies (versus Berry Cream Cookie Snaps) because I was in the mood for something chocolaty. I got what I wanted because these are the most chocolaty cookies I have ever had in my life. You absolutely must have these cookies with a glass of milk; the cookies just scream,"Eat me with milk!" Another reason for the milk is that these cookies are very rich and you will need something to help wash them down. These cookies are best out of the oven, in my opinion because they are soft, warm, and chocolate just oozes out of them.
Outrageous Chocolate Cookies
Source: Martha Stewart (here)

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until almost melted; do not overheat. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.


In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.


Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes; with a thin metal spatula, transfer to racks to cool completely.
PS for info on Cookie Carnival make sure to contact Tami at Tami's Kitchen Table!

No comments: