Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Espresso-Chili Rub Steaks

IMG_2062
A few years ago we went to a steakhouse and Alex had a steak made in some kind of coffee seasoning/sauce. He was instantly in love with how the coffee brought out the best in the steak. He has since tried to replicate that steak. Although this recipe is a great one, the cumin is very powerful and it takes away from the espresso flavor. Still though, the steak was tender and the spices came together to give you a steak that was a celebration of tastes, grilling, and eating.
IMG_2015

Espresso Chili Rub
Source: Weber's Way to Grill

1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp espresso powder
1  1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp peppers
4 rib-eye steaks

Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Lightly brush the steaks with oil and season evenly with the rub, pressing the rub into the meat. Cover the meat and let sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling over high heat.

Cook to desired doneness. Let steaks sit for 3-5 minutes after removal from grill. Serve warm.

Enjoy!
IMG_2059
Stephanie

3 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

Looks great! I make a similar rub with espresso powder, crushed cacao nibs, chipotle chili powder and a dash of smoked paprika. I also find the cumin a little overwhelming.

Eliana said...

I would have never thought of using coffee as a part of a steak rub but it sounds incredible. Will have to try this one soon.

Mommyhood Mayhem said...

I really want you to come to my house and cook! I explored your whole blog last night--going pack to your Boston days--and all I have to say is YUM-MY! I wish I had more time to "explore" in the kitchen...I think it is time for a school break so I can focus on family for awhile!! I'm definitely going to be trying out some of your recipes!

Lenore